A women’s body goes through multiple changes during pregnancy. Growing a baby adds more pressure on the organs, increased weight distributes through joints and bones, causing posture and body movement changes, loss of calcium especially in the last trimester and in producing breast milk during lactation, the list goes on!
While child bearing is an amazing and rewarding experience, back pain, pelvic pain, urine incontinence due to pressure on pelvic floor muscles, wrist and arm pain from lifting and holding your newborn, and so on, these conditions are very common during pregnancy and the post-partum period.
Preparing the muscles of the lower back, abdominal area, and pelvic floor is essential for prevention and a good post-partum recovery. Physiotherapists are trained to proper assess, treat and advice effective and safe exercises. Below are some helpful treatments for new mothers.
Focus for postnatal physiotherapy treatments:
- Pain management: back, hands
- Postnatal muscle rehabilitation, e.g. abdominal, lower back, back muscles
- Training of pelvic floor muscles and core muscles
- Advice for mothers: exercises, baby care tips, correct postures
In-home physiotherapy treatment techniques:
- Manual therapy
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
- Exercise therapy, simple Pilates or yoga exercises
- Heat therapy
For more information, please consult your doctor or a healthcare professional.
Download the OK Care App to make an appointment for any health care service.
For enquiries, please contact us via 2525-8486 / 6514-1452 (Whatsapp)